Learn how to prepare Torta, the world-famous Mexican sandwich that has everyone raving! It takes minutes to make and is a healthy, fresh dinner with steak that has been seasoned, refried beans, and a lot of cheese.
The Best Tortas
If you’re tired of your lunchtime sandwich, it’s time to switch things up with a Mexican torta!
A torta is a Mexican sandwich, frequently served open-faced, consisting of seasoned sirloin, mayonnaise, cheese, refried beans, and salad in a crisp bread roll. It’s essentially all of your favorite taco toppings but served in a roll instead of a tortilla.
We’ve been making what is also known as a Torta Mexicana for years. During our excursions in Mexico, our family often enjoyed these for a hearty meal.
Now we can create these at home, and they are a keeper, believe me.
Perfectly seasoned skirt steak packed with mayonnaise, refried beans, and guacamole on crusty toast… My saliva is flowing. Add some cheese, and you’ll be eating them every day.
The flavors blend so well together and the preparation time is less than five minutes.
We prefer to prepare the skirt steak ahead of time, but you can substitute other proteins or eliminate it altogether.
Also, we recommend serving these with fresh salsa or tortilla chips if you desire a side dish.
Ingredients needed to make Mexican tortas
Make sure you have the following ingredients in your kitchen to make torta:
- Mayonnaise – The standard spread that is used. We recommend lathering both sides of the bread with it for optimum flavor and extra creaminess.
- Refined beans – The signature ingredient of any good torta. It adds protein, fiber, and a spicy kick.
- Seasoned steak– Tender and pan-fried pieces of steak flavored with taco seasoning.
- Salad vegetables – A mix of tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers. You are welcome to use pico de gallo instead.
- Avocado – Sliced or mashed into mock guacamole.
- Cheese – Any cheese that melts well is a plus, like cheddar cheese or American cheese. If possible, use a Mexican cheese blend that has a peppery kick to it.
How to make a Mexican Sandwich
Just 3 easy steps and a Mexican torta is ready to serve.
Step 1- Cook the steak
Start by cooking up the beef. In a non-stick pan or skillet, add some oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning, along with 2 tablespoons of water, and cook until most of the water is absorbed.
Step 2- Prepare the bread
Next, slice opens the bread and spread mayonnaise on top. To the other side, add refried beans, salad vegetables, and avocado. For an extra creamy hit, spread more mayonnaise on top.
Step 3- Assemble and serve!
Finally, add a generous portion of the seasoned beef, followed by the cheese, and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
For the first time preparing this Mexican sandwich? Remember the following success tips:
- Chop the ingredients into smaller pieces for better filling.
- If you have the time, you can marinate the steak
- If your bread is not naturally crusty on the outside, you can lightly toast it before adding the fillings.
What bread is best for tortas?
There are three main kinds of bread that works best for tortas-
- Telera: These feature a crusty exterior and a soft, fluffy interior, similar to a hoagie roll.
- Bollilo: This bread is comparable to Telera, but it is somewhat softer and is frequently used in bread pudding. Toast them beforehand if you choose this option.
- Birote: Comparable to a baguette, birote are typically cooked using a sourdough starter and are a more savory option.
- Obviously, if none of this bread is available, you can use hoagie rolls, baguettes, or even a hot dog bun.